Friday, June 19, 2009

A Is For Apple

I took a little tour of food stuffs while on the ranch. I got rather excited to see apple trees and the promise of apples in my future. I guess my friend wanted to make sure I could see the apple as he cleared away the leaves for a better look. He was a little astonished that I took a picture of it. To him, it was an apple. To me, it was pie.

I did mention my love of apple pie about that time. I was asked if I made pie crust from scratch. I laughed... big time... ha, ha, ha. Me! Pie crust from SCRATCH! I don't think so.

You know the way to a man's heart is through his stomach... pie crust from scratch included. He is interested in the flaky kind... (not in people, but in pie). He looked at me as if I really am expected to go forward with this endeavor and begin the arduous task of learning to make flaky pie crust. This chick uses that wonderful rolled up kind that you purchase in the store.. in the butter and biscuits section. I'm sure it is as good as any I'd produce with sifting, rolling, and throwing flour everywhere.

I hated to dash his hopes, but I didn't hesitate to stand my ground and announce that I would make apple pie... with my kind of crust. I'm sure it will go down and settle in the stomach just fine. He said that he believed he would learn to make the crust himself. I told him to go for it. A woman has to set terms and stand by them, especially important ones like this.

You know the garden I've mentioned the other day..... Well... the man has mentioned canning. That is another word that I'm not sure I like. I remember canning from my childhood. It involves work and heat and work and heat. I'm not sure I like canning. I am, however, willing to consider a small amount of it. I should emphasize the word 'small'. I like freezing or dehydrating. You have got to remember that I'm a small town chick, not a country chick.

For today, I'm going to dismiss the thought of canning and stick with the lovely fruit growing on that tree. After all, I'm only on A is for Apple. Canning starts with a 'C'. I'm sure the apples will be tasty, and I do love apples. I'll make My Way Pie and perhaps even some sauce. If he doesn't like my kind of crust, I'll invite him to watch me eat it. Tah Dah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love your posts. cjw