Friday, January 23, 2009

My Kitchen Remodel Reality Blog

For those of you who I know like to check on any kind of doings that involve a remodeling mess, I hereby return from my blog vacation to post while this is going on.

Feel free to sympathize with me at any time. Pick up any useful tips... like planning ahead for such adventures.

Here is the deal. The last time Master Carpenter Man (pictured here) was here redoing the living and dining room ceilings, I mentioned that I really needed work in the kitchen. I had vaguely planned some updates in there, and I did mention to him in October that I wanted him to come back soon. I was afraid that if I let him get away, he wouldn't be back for a couple of years. I figured I had at least until March before he returned.

I was surprised one day when he showed up to tell me that he would be ready to come the following Monday.... which gave me two days to think about what I want to do. Let me tell you, one takes Master Carpenter Man when one can get him. He is a busy guy.

I whined a bit about the fact that the house was going to be torn up again, and everything would be a mess. I got no sympathy. Daughter Ineeda went so far as to say that she really couldn't work up any sympathy for me having to put up with a sexy man around lifting and stretching and flexing... all that stuff. I began to think perhaps she was right. I guess life is all about perspective. Friend Juju didn't come through any better as mentioned the fact that he was a 'hottie'. So there you have it.... no help from my family or friends.

So... I could expect MCM to arrive in two days, and I had no plans. Right. No plans. He did arrive on Saturday, and we spent a good deal of time looking around the kitchen and talking about what I wanted to have done. It turns out that I really want everything done. That wasn't the original plan, but it is now.

Now let me see.... I need to do the following: pick out everything. Right. I believe the word 'overwhelmed' surfaced about this point in time. I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would take on a complete kitchen remodel with NO plans.

This is what I know: I want a new ceiling, a cabinet update, new counter tops, new tile, a new floor. Yep... that is what I know.

So.... MCM has been at work for a week. I've been looking at magazines, and he has been working. I intend to show very shortly what he is doing. I'll just post this first one, then get on with more pics and the mess. I imagine he is going to be around for a few months. As a matter of fact, he brought a 2009 calendar and hung it in my kitchen. Ha.

No comments: