Saturday, January 24, 2009

Packing Up and Tearing Up

Here is my kitchen now. I'm fortunate that the appliances are still in the kitchen. I can use everything so far, if necessary. Of course, I packed everything and the cabinets are empty. I know that one of these days MCM is going to announce the moving of the appliances. I'm going to find somewhere to keep my refrigerator plugged in, but I know the rest will go.

I've received tips on how to live with no kitchen. I'm prepared, but we will talk about that in another post. I know you are just dying to see the demolition and know what we did first.

Here is the beginning. The ceiling must go. This is the lower part of the ceiling. You see, years ago, someone added on to this house, so part of the kitchen has a higher ceiling under the original part of the house, and the other half of the kitchen has a lower ceiling which has a flat roof above it. We started with the lower part.

I looked and looked but couldn't find a picture that has the part I have always really hated about this ceiling. I guess I carefully avoided taking a picture of it through the years. I really hated it.

You see... in order to get air down from the attic heating system, one must cut a hole and come down. Since the part of the ceiling that was lowered had no place to hide the duct in the ceiling, the pipe just came down, the lovely thing was boxed in, and the duct was in the middle of the lower part of the ceiling. I'm sure you are scratching your head at this point, but, trust me, it was ugly... UGLY! Did I mention that I hated it.

It seems that MCM thought it was pretty ugly too. When I mentioned having work done in the kitchen, he jumped on the opportunity to question me about that duct. Knowing full well what it was, he said, 'What is this thing?' See... he hated it too. He set about to come up with some way to fix the situation. He came up with a plan. I also checked with my main heating and air person, and he came and checked out the plan too.

Of course, the best laid plans of mice (I hate mice) and men go you know where... astray. They do and they did. It didn't turn out to be an easy task, and we spent Monday... the first day... in frustration. I know that anyone else would have called it impossible and let me live the rest of my life hating that duct. Not MCM... he didn't like it either and felt my pain.

So... he found a way. Here you see a passageway he cut through from the kitchen into the back room. It will go through a closet, but I don't care. It really won't take up much room.

Here you see where it will come out in the back room. I'll have air. I do now, but this is a new place for the air.


Isn't it pretty?








At this point, I will say that MCM has spent a good deal of time working to hide that duct. He spent lots of time in the back with this bending tool he brought. One thing is for sure... it helps to have the right tool for each job.

I'm a little behind on letting you know what is happening. This has been going on for a week, and I've just started to clue you in. I'll work on it this weekend and try to bring you up to date. I know we will all be better for it... or not.. ta dah.

No comments: