Saturday, May 3, 2008

Wind and Things

It has been a stormy week. Most of that horrid stuff started right here in the middle of Tornado Alley. We had been warned from the beginning of the week to expect nasty stuff (my words, not theirs). I started praying about safety early in the week. I thought about it often and mentioned it in prayer a number of times. Once might have been enough, but I'm the kind who needs to say it more than once. It isn't that I think He might have forgotten about my request, but I somehow feel the need to mention it over and over. I hope that isn't the Nag Factor.

As the weathermen were talking about taking cover, I was glad I'd mentioned it more than once. In spite of all my confidence, I did decide to check out the inside of my closet as the sirens sounded. It was a good time to rearrange and see what sitting on the floor was like. It wasn't very comfortable, and I don't think that closet is the best place to be, but I thought I'd do it anyway.

I had my supplies. My top favorite thing is the radio I bought from L.L. Bean a few years ago. It is an emergency radio... Eton FR-300. I LOVE this radio. It has a weather channel, but also receives frequencies used by TV. There is a rechargeable battery included, will run on AA batteries, and also has a hand crank. I went through Eton's website and bought an AC adapter, so can recharge the battery and use it with just electricity. Somehow it was nice to listen to the play by play of the super cell as it approached. Lovely, really. I especially liked the part where they announced that it was clear to come out. That was a nice highlight.

I will say that I also have some nice lights and a bit of water tucked away in my closet. I did get my purse in there as well and knew the cell phone was fully charged. I really wasn't scared, but I think it is smarter to take cover rather than run out on the porch and sit down to have a cup of coffee. Again, I was very glad that I'd mentioned the possible predicament ahead of time.

I'm glad to report that as the tornado ridden cloud approached our fair city, the circulation part of it seemed to stabilize. There was a funnel just outside of town, then it went up and stayed up. I have heard no reports of any damage around here. Thank you!! Unfortunately, that storm continued east and has caused considerable damage elsewhere.

I do love spring with its new leaves and flowers. I can't say I care much for the weather. At times, it leaves much to be desired. I can only pray that we have calmer weather in the the future. We just have to get past this clashing of lows and highs and dry lines and humidity.

I had a good night of sleep last night. The night before was full of wind and things, so was not conducive to real rest. Now that I'm rested up a bit, I'm going to have to find my 'to do' list and get started. At the top of the list is prayer for quieter times.

No comments: