Saturday, February 7, 2009

Termite Damage

This is my kitchen at the moment. It is an open air version. Thankfully, yesterday was a rather warm day for February. Today promises to be another nice one, and I'm hoping MCM manages to get lots more done on this problem.

This certainly isn't what I had in mind when I set out to do a little updating on the kitchen, but it is what it is.

MCM worked yesterday replacing the board that sits on the foundation. Actually, he is going to have to take all the framing down and replace it. It is a tad tricky when you consider that the roof is suppose to rest on all of this. I don't think either of us has figured out why the roof is still in place.
Just look at this. No, MCM hasn't shaved any of this away... It has been like that. It is eaten away and just hanging in space. Lovely, really.

I don't know if any of this damage has been done recently. It may have been like this for a long time. I did call our town pest control company as wanted the owner to come look at this. You can bet I'm going to have some kind of treatment plan going when it is time to do such things.

He was trying to find where all of it started, but so much had been disturbed that he really couldn't identify anything at this point.

Just look at this! Can you believe my house is still standing?! Actually, I'm certainly hoping that there are no other areas like this. I don't think there are, but it certainly gives one pause for thought.

When you've looked at this sad picture long enough, just scroll down for the next lovely number.










This one is interesting as you can hold it up to the light and see through all those ridges. MCM pointed that out to me. I heard a lot of comments from him about how challenging this whole thing is at the moment. I rather agree with him.



If you are looking at these pictures and thinking 'Eeewww', then you might get your pest control phone number and place it somewhere to consider in the future. I have never seen any evidence of them, and I certainly never knew anything like this lurked behind my kitchen wall.

The pest control owner left my yard saying 'Bless her heart, bless her heart.' I know that's bad.




Poor MCM had to break the awfulness of this whole ordeal with a little humor. I guess he went to his happy place with a little guitar music. I don't blame him. He was the one trying to figure out how to remodel this mess. I told him that he should watch HGTV and they would show him how to do it in thirty minutes or less. He laughed. I'm just glad he can still laugh.

No comments: