Friday, February 13, 2009

He Had To Say It

If I can blame someone, I'm going to start with MCM, and I may even change his name from Master Carpenter Man or Majorly Capable Man to Mouthy Carpenter Man. I told him to quit talking. I told him not to say THAT, but he kept on and on and on. I even threatened to staple his lips together, but he thought I was kidding and just kept saying THAT.

It was just one of those days when things kept going wrong. It was little things one at a time that seemed to compound, and Mouthy wasn't helping at all. Early in the day, he shook his head and said, 'What else could go wrong?' Yep, THAT is what he said. 'What else could go wrong?' The look of horror on my face should have been his clue. I understand that words are powerful and I try to keep ominous words at bay. However, he doesn't seem to share my ideas of NOT voicing some things. So... Mouthy just kept saying it. I think the more animated that I became about him stopping, the more he laughed at me and said THAT.

I noticed the water wasn't hot when I got ready to jump into the morning shower. It was NOT hot! I jumped in anyway and jumped out about as quickly. It was a run through shower.

I waited until MCM arrived and told him that lighting hot water tank pilots was Men's Work and he jumped right in to the solving problem mode. That's what men do. It took me a minute to convince him that a match wasn't needed. I knew I was in trouble then. I'm not saying that he didn't know how to light the hot water tank pilot, I'm just saying that he got into solving problem mode with gusto and I couldn't get a word in edgewise. I should have just gone into the other room and waited.

After trying to light the tank and it just not cooperating, I decided to follow the last advice that I'd found in the manual. I'd secretly been reading the manual. I'm a reader. MCM is a doer. I decided that I was going to have to call the plumber. It turns out after a few more things that didn't go right, that I was blessed to buy a brand new hot water tank. I, of course, blamed it on Mouthy. I really should have stapled his lips. Of course, I'm KIDDING!

I really do like to find some positive in all things... if possible. I decided that I'm glad this happened BEFORE I have nice new hardwood floors in the kitchen. I would have been worse than a mother hen if I'd had to supervise dragging out a hot water tank on a brand new floor. So, all is well, and Mouthy is forgiven.

I have to tell you that I told MCM some time ago that he was absolutely NOT allowed to put anything in my living room. I knew I couldn't protect the dining room from his mess, but I set boundaries and tried so hard to stick to them. However, as you can plainly see here, there is lumber that is inching, or footing, into the living room. There just is no hope.


For the most part, I have managed to keep the living room free from carpenter droppings. I have to have some place in my home that I can go and see things as they should be. I need just a small degree of normality somewhere. I think it is what keeps me sane.




I do have this happy little thing to report. The sheetrock is finally going up on the higher part of the ceiling. By the end of today, I'm thinking I'll see lots of sheetrock. It has been a long time coming due to those many small and big things that have had to be corrected. I'm going to do a little happy dance of joy when the sheetrock is in place. I think MCM may join me in that.

No comments: