Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Still the Same Old Place

Yesterday things got ugly around here when MCM announced that he thought the old once used chimney that had remnants in the pantry and in the attic, should be removed. What a mess. He said that it had a tremendous amount of weight and really needed to be removed.

First he went in the attic and removed the part of the brick chimney that was there. He went up and down, up and down, up and down the ladder carrying the bricks in a bucket. I didn't volunteer to help. Poor him, smart me.

I couldn't get a good picture of the brick part in the pantry. This shot is after he had removed the outside concrete or whatever it was that encased the bricks. I stayed safely away, but stuck my camera in there and took a wild shot. You can see just the bottom of the brick stack that was there.

I do wonder about what the room looked like many years ago when there was a stove there that required venting with an old stove pipe and chimney.

MCM took the remaining sheetrock and lathes off the ceiling. It rained plaster and dirt around here.

He also removed the lathe from the walls. More plaster and dirt and general mess.

I'm sure you are enjoying this daily look at my poor pitiful kitchen. You can tell it is a kitchen if you look closely. See... MCM has left my little kitchen sink in functioning mode. I don't know how much longer it will be there, but it is nice to have it to wash my dishes. Any cooking I do is in my guest bedroom.

My assignment yesterday was to hammer down the nails in the lathe so MCM doesn't step on them when he unloads the trailer later. Then I carried them to a pile outside. I'll try to get a picture of the pile later as know you would just love that. The yard is getting worse and worse too, and it is almost time for MCM to dump the trailer again.

This picture shows a doorway to my pantry, which will be moves to the left a bit. MCM hates pocket doors, and he has removed that with glee. The other open space is where the remains of the chimney were removed.

MCM should be here shortly, and I haven't finished my work from yesterday. There is still plaster chunks on the floor. I did all I could yesterday, but I just couldn't finish the job. I was too too tired. I'm headed in there to stir the dirst and dust and carry the final mess to the trailer. Then I'll sweep with Brutus (MCM's shop vac). Hopefully, I'll get to mop and try to settle the dust down a bit.

I'm wondering how I got myself into this. I keep the end results in mind and know all will be well in the end.

No comments: