Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Shattered Silence

It didn't take long for that blessed peace and quiet to be shattered into oblivion. It happened the moment MCM came onto the scene.

Don't get me wrong. I was glad to see him. He was here to begin working again toward making my kitchen a thing of beauty. It must happen.

The first thing he did was reach for the saw. Beware of man with saw... It can be a dangerous thing. He began sawing the top off the counter. Yes, he did.


Then he started poking around on the floor and found a soft spot. Actually, there was a little problem in the wall too. So... let's make a bigger hole in the floor. Keep that saw moving right along. Saw, man, saw.

It turned out that before he was finished cutting away part of the floor, I could see all the way to the ground. I suggested he just go for it and turn it into a basement. He didn't think so. He said I'd have a hard time getting to the basement if I had to crawl under the cabinet to get there. Practical man.

At the end of the day, the hole was repaired, more of the cabinet was removed, tile under the windows was removed, and the wall adjusted so it is now nice and straight again.

MCM actually started out with the idea of sheetrock, but that didn't happen. I have hopes for tomorrow. I'm sure he does too. You've just got to love all the things that need fixing when you are dealing with an older home.

I'm writing this post at the end of the day and am about to head to bed. It will be ready to spring onto the screen in the morning, and you will see all that has kept me going today.

I have to have my morning coffee to prepare for another day of this exciting kitchen remodel mess. It will be pretty someday. I've been told that. Repeatedly. Really. It will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a basement.
That would make for a funny story.
Bless your mess.
Take care,
Brenda