Friday, August 22, 2008

The Perfect Smile

I've been wandering through a forest of very tall trees, trying to see the forest. I keep bumping into things I don't understand and having to try to sit down and rest awhile.

It has been busy for me since I embarked on my new business adventure. I'm suppose to be off and working at a furious pace. Maybe that isn't really accurate, but I do at times feel that way. I'd just like to sit down awhile and not think about it.

Getting started on a business is a tad time consuming. There are things to learn, and it takes a bit of time to learn and get things organized. It will happen.

Since you have come here to see if I'm still alive, I'll relate the two things that struck me as wildly humorous this week. Thank goodness for those moments that just make you smile.

The first was a TV spot about the ladies who have the honor of carrying in the medals at the Olympic Games. The commentator was talking about the honor of it and how these girls are chosen. They had to be a certain height, a certain weight within a few pounds, and be pleasant to look at. (No ugly ones.) They showed pictures of the girls practicing walking... all together. They turned just so, smiled just so... etc.

Then the commentator said that showing six to eight teeth was considered the perfect smile. That did it. I immediately hopped up and got a mirror to see what a perfect smile looks like. Go ahead... go get a mirror and just try to smile with only six to eight teeth showing. It is going to take practice. Now I know why I don't like my pictures. My smile is far from perfect. I've laughed over that one off and on all week.

Item two: I was in a parking lot yesterday visiting with a friend. We'd been in a meeting and, having finished, were on our way to our cars. I heard the electronic sound of a vehicle behind me being unlocked. I turned around and saw that a man in a suit with his briefcase was getting into the convertible behind me. Oh, yes... the top was down. I HAD to smile. I also couldn't resist the comment that he had just unlocked his car that had the top down. 'Well,' he said, ' it really makes a loud commotion if someone would try to get in the doors or if they got inside and started messing with anything.' I just stood there grinning at him through his explanation. I did apologize and explain that I was sure his reasoning was perfectly logical, but that it just tickled me to see a convertible with its top down locked. He admitted that he had felt rather silly at times about that as well.

Actually, I was having a hard time not ragging on this poor guy any more. Actually, I will admit to looking up at the dark clouds that were forming over us promising the threat of water. I didn't mention that fact to him. He didn't put the top up either. I'm afraid his suit and briefcase might be soaked at some point, but I just didn't dare mention that. I did roll my head back and point heavenward. He just smiled at me and drove off.

I'm glad I have a car with a top. I do have a sun roof, so can live a little at times. I also will work on my perfect smile. You never know when that might come in handy.

Next time you wander in front of a mirror, please check out that smile business. It is good for a few laughs... with only six to eight teeth showing.

No comments: