Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Day Without a Phone

I visited with I-Needa this morning, then hung up and started a bit of work around the house. Oops... I suppose I really shouldn't say that as it isn't entirely true. I did visit with I-Needa, but my plans for work around the house were tentative at best.

As I walked by my computer desk, I noticed an orange light steadily lit on my wireless gateway. That meant I had no Internet. Scenes of dealing with the help line flashed before my eyes. If you've ever called for tech support, you know the scenes that flashed before my eyes. It wasn't pretty at all. I had a horrid feeling that I was going to have to talk with Ameddedbibshed in Asmmabad. I just knew it!

At first I tried to ignore it. I figured it would come around and do the right thing soon. I waited, but that orange light refused to turn green. I did a few diagnostic things from my computer, but that wasn't helping either.

Finally, with shoulders slumped and knowing that I would be dealing with endless button punching and possible disconnects, I headed for the land line to call the phone company. I considered stopping for a headache remedy just in case. Perhaps I should just pick up a glass and pour a bit of wine. I decided to give I-Needa a call so she could be supportive in my hour of need. Then I would call the phone company.

However, when I picked up the phone and tried to call I-Needa, I heard a busy signal in the background. Well! That was strange. I decided to try another long distance number... same thing. I ran around the house making sure that all the phones were securely seated on the base. No problem. Then I called Mother's number here in town, and she answered without a problem.

Since the phone wasn't able to dial a long distance number, I couldn't call the phone company on my land line. I tried my cell phone. That wasn't good either. Seriously, even the cell phone wasn't working as it should.

I decided to go to Grace's house and call the phone company from there. I picked up her phone to dial repair at the phone company, and her line had that same busy signal thing going. I think I was rather relieved as now knew it was not just my phone line. Perhaps I wasn't going to have to talk with Ameddedbibshed in Asmmabad. That would be a blessing.

Whatever was going on today with the phone service, it seems to have been an issue throughout the entire city. No phone, no Internet. Stores couldn't process credit card transactions. I'm sure that made for a festive day at the stores. Even the cell phones seemed to be dropping calls. Truly, it was a weird day. I MISSED my phone and Internet service. I really did. I thought about how dependent we are on our phone system.

Thankfully, our phone service is back... obviously... I'm writing this blog. I have to admit that I felt a lilt to my spirit when the orange light turned green. I was back in business.

I have one concern. You see.... right before the phones in the entire town died, I'd decided to call long distance to my Creative Memories consultant to discuss with her a wild thought I've had. Hum...... Surely I didn't cause the outage!

No comments: