Thursday, April 28, 2011

Scary Weather

I've been on and off Facebook, a place I visit on occasion only.  I've been searching for information on one of my friends who lives in Alabama.  Thankfully, she has posted that all her family are okay and all their houses standing.  She posted from her cell phone as their power is out.

I've also spent some time looking at the devastation being broadcast on the TV stations.  It is absolutely mind boggling to see it.  I'm sure we only see a little of the real deal.  Living in Tornado Alley can, at times, be a frightening thing.  It is a given that we will have severe weather with wind, hail, and the dreaded rotation associated with tornados.

With our advancing technology, we are made more aware of what is going on in every part of our state and country.  We are told days in advance what the potential might be.

I have to admit to being almost worn out at times with the stress of knowing what might be.  I'm probably like a lot of others who live a little on the emotional edge during this time of year when a change in temperature might well bring out the worst possible scenario.

I also have to talk to myself about not living in fear.  My faith tells me that we aren't suppose to go around all the time allowing fear into our lives.  So, I pray.  I pray a lot about storms and protection.  I think about the power of the Word and the fact that Jesus calmed the storm with his command to 'Be still'.   I think about that a lot and try to apply it to the storms we have now... both physical and emotional.

I'm always thankful when the storms have passed and I know that we are okay for awhile.  Thankfully, I've never been in a tornado, and I pray I'll never come near one.  I'm a chicken.  My mind has a hard time grasping the concept that there are some who actually get an adrenaline rush from going out and chasing these storms.  Right Back is one of those.

I can remember times when I was praying fervently that everyone would be protected and safely in from the storm.  Then I would talk with Right Back and he would be heading straight for the storm.  That was more in his day of working with emergency management.  He would always sound so delighted and pumped about heading for the storm.  I guess it takes all kinds, both chickens and crazies.  I know, that's an opinion only.

 I will report that Juju finally made it to her home after two nights in an airport motel and lots of hours in the airport.  I told her that I wanted a full report and warned her that anything she says might be copied to this blog.  I haven't heard much from her yet.  We will see.  Tah Dah!

No comments: