Sunday, April 17, 2011

And God Created All Things Good

I'd like to go with the thought that all things were created 'good', but I'm a little skeptical. I've been puzzling about this spiny spiky seed thing.  It, to me, may slip the good category and be better defined as a nuisance.  


I'm not questioning the fact that it is an inspired piece of work. I will even admit using a heaping collection of them to sprinkle with glitter and use as an art project back in the good old days of elementary school art.

The problem with this little hard ball of spiky things is the fact that it seems to lie in wait as I try to navigate across the lawn.  Try to walk gracefully across a yard filled with these little jewels underfoot.  It's almost an impossible task.  I'm glad I have good balance as they roll under the foot.   

 
Notice how like Easter eggs these lovely seeds lie nestled across the lawn.  They are far reaching and love clinging to the grass.   If you have one of these trees, you have TROUBLE.  What kind of tree?  I'll admit that I don't know.   I call it simply the Awful Tree.   


My assignment, whether I choose it or not, is to rake all these into a pile and bag them.  The lawn-mowing service isn't wanting to put up with these either.   Actually, Lawnmower Man didn't really say anything to me about them, but I felt obligated from the start to apologize for them.

I let him know right from the beginning that I'd do something about them.   So far, I've not been out to do any more than that one tiny pile you see in the upper left hand corner of the picture.

I've strongly considered the possibility of removing the pesky trees from the front lawn. Yes, chop them down.  Down, down, down.  The only thing saving them is the beautiful leaf colors of fall.  They are beautiful then.  Other than that... pesky, pesky, pesky.

I'm sincerely sorry that these spiky things aren't valuable in some way.   I'd like to put a sign in my yard offering them 'for free'.   That's the optimistic part of me.  It says, 'Go for it!'   The more realistic side says, 'Better get to raking.'   There is one more little voice that says, 'You can do it tomorrow!'   Do I want door number 1, 2, or 3?   Tah Dah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back....and Happy again! Does this tree only leave those deposits once a year? At least you have pretty leaves in the fall and shade in the summer!

Anonymous said...

Those things are from a sweet gum tree and we have 5 in our yard! We hauled off 3 truckloads of them this year and there are still some there! They are more prolific this year it seems. Linda

First RV Adventure said...

We had one in our yard for years and years until one summer we had it cut down and hauled off. Our daughter said we would miss the shade but I haven't missed the mess it made every year! The only time I liked that tree was Halloween when I could make cool spiders with the balls and some black pipe cleaners.

wingnut said...

Welcome back! You have 2 female sweet gum trees. You can buy male versions at garden centers. Same beautiful branching, shade, and fall colors...zero gumballs.