Sunday, May 2, 2010

Promise of Peaches

Earlier this spring, I took this picture in the orchard at the ranch. It shows buds forming on this peach tree. I had hopes at the time that a nasty frost wouldn't come along and kill them. I want peaches!!!

Mr. took me out to give me another little tour of the orchard. He really does love all his plants and gardening efforts. He was quick to give me a little rundown on each of the plants, and I tried to soak it all in and be appreciative.


I will tell you that I was thrilled to see the leaves out on the trees and the buds looking good. My mouth is watering a little in the hopes of peaches, apples, and grapes. They are all in the orchard area.




This is a macro (close up) of the dwarf peach tree. Daughter I-Needa said that dwarf peaches are the kind that would be best in tarts. Silly girl!! We will see just how big those peaches get. Who knows, she may be right.

I'm just glad a killing frost didn't get the peaches. It looks like they are going to make.




Here is another picture of a regular peach tree. I'm so hopping to get some peaches after awhile. I know there are critters out there in Raccoonville who would love to have those tasty offerings from the trees. Man's objective is to beat the critters to the produce. Mr. said he would set out traps. We will see on that too. Unfortunately, Raccoons do not like to share. They are pesky little critters, and let's not forget about the deer. They like to eat too.


I'd best get a good cobbler or pie recipe dusted off. Baking pies or cobblers might just be in my job description of ranch wife. Actually, I've seen the look in Mr.'s eyes when he mentions peach pie. It is the look of a man in love... with pie. He actually suggested that I should make crust from scratch. I thought I was hearing things. Crust from scratch! Well... I hate to tell Mr. this, but Pillsbury roll out is fine with me. Seriously. I'm afraid he can tell the difference. He seems to have discerning taste buds for things like that. He is hard to fool. Still, I think I'll stick with Pillsbury. He forgot to put that in the job description before the wedding vows. For better or for worse, the man is getting Pillsbury.

I have other things to consume my thinking. I don't care about crust. I care about fruit survival. I asked if I should consider camping in the garden and protecting it from critters. He laughed. I'm thinking he has good reason to laugh. I wouldn't last five minutes camping in the garden. There are bugs there... maybe snakes... I don't know about that and don't want to find out either. I'll have to depend on Mr. to protect the garden and orchard with traps. Perhaps I'll mention that to him again. We will see... Tah Dah

No comments: