Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bitten By a Genealogy Bug

I know many people are into genealogy with a passion.  I've never done anything with genealogy, so couldn't have issued any statements of value on that particular subject.  However, I've been bitten... badly bitten by the genealogy bug.  It didn't take long either.  I've only been at it for a few days... perhaps three.

As I said in my last post, I had a couple of documents, and I was trying to find some relatives on my Mother's side of the family... her maternal grandparents.  

I was looking at a site yesterday that was dedicated to the county where I knew they lived.  I happened to click on a link for a forum discussion, and I immediately saw the name of the person I was looking for.  Not only that, but the person who had posted the link was a familiar name.   I'd heard my mother use that name.   I immediately got the e-mail address of the person who posted and sent them a note telling them why I had contacted them and giving them a little information so they could decide if I had the right person.

I almost held my breath all day hoping and praying that I'd hear from this person.  I  felt I had the right person, but the information had been posted sometime last year and I hoped they were still around and with the same e-mail address.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I got a response.  Sure enough, we are related.  I hit the jackpot by finding a living relative.  That person has a ton of information on the family, and I can fill in the blanks on one line of the family.  I got so excited that I literally jumped up and down in the kitchen.  Mr. was just coming around from his slumber this morning and probably thought I'd lost my mind for sure.

It is amazing how exciting it can be to find family information.  To find a relative that you didn't know you had is even more exciting.   I'm afraid I've really been bitten by that bug.  I'm not sure I'm going to get enough of it anytime soon.

No comments: