Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Genealogy and Me

This poor little photo, which needs much repair, is, I think, a picture of my great great grandmother.  I've been on a quest to discover some information concerning family on my mother's side.  I may have raved on about this in the past, but I'm just now getting serious about trying to find that information.  If I don't do it, it will probably be lost to the family.

I've never done any genealogy research, and I'm not too sure where to start.  I actually called the city where she lived and have found a few pieces of information.  We are talking about people who lived in the 1880s, and piecing together certificates, marriage licenses, and family oral tradition can be daunting, if not downright frustrating.  It also seems to be quite addictive.  I can feel it in my bones.

I don't know why I had to wait until this late stage of my life to get interested in family history.  I have a feeling I'm not the only one on Earth to do such a thing.  We seem to wait until it is or almost is too late about things.

Well, I'm on a quest now.  Poor Mr. is going to see another demonstration of my obsessive focus.  I'm like a dog with a bone in that respect.  I call it extreme interest.  At least I'm doing something that is useful, and I hope to have a nice scrapbook with all the ancestors and their stories springing to life from the pages.

If I'm correct, this lovely lady once lived in the house that is now a museum.  It is a museum not because of this lady, but because the famous General Pershing once lived there.  It all seems terribly interesting to me, and I'm going to see what I can discover.   I hope I have a shred of sanity left when I'm finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl...it may be a stretch but I think I can see a resemblence to M..in her nose and mouth.
Linda