Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Caught!

I'm not sure why we don't learn from our past mistakes. We really should catch a clue and mend our ways. Why we insist on doing things that have proven in the past to be mistakes is beyond me.

I decided yesterday morning not to take my usual shower as I was going to paint, probably get dirty, and would need to repeat the cleaning up process before I attended an evening event. I opted instead to just throw on my clothes with plans to take a shower and freshen up in the afternoon. I put on painting clothes, went with just a dab of makeup, and fought the hair into something acceptable, not pretty.

So..... the doorbell rings early in the afternoon and there stands a friend with a good looking man. He is beaming and looks so pleased to see me. Girlfriend flashed a big grin and said, 'Hey, remember (name omitted)!' I hadn't seen (name omitted) since we graduated from high school... or at least a few years after that. He was looking good, and I was NOT. They came in and visited for a couple of hours, and I really was delighted to visit with him, but I sure would have preferred to be spiffier looking. I KNOW that one should get around and try to look nice. I KNOW this. Yes, let your guard down, and someone comes. It must be a rule or something, but that is the way it is.

I seriously don't think this is fair. I can be dressed and looking gorgeous (debatable) day after day after day, and not one soul will appear on my doorstep. However, let the house go without cleaning or let the body go without dressing, and you can be one hundred percent certain that something unexpected will happen that will make you cringe and regret any deviation from the norm. It is a sad thing, but true.

I'm up this morning and dressed... showered, fresh hair, clean clothes, make-up in place. So far no calls have been received. No person has shown up at the door. It will probably be another dull day. At least I have my act together and have sworn yet again to not abandon the routine of my days. Be prepared, be not embarrassed, be not caught!

No comments: