Sunday, August 22, 2010

Silverton & Durango

One rainy morning on our trip to Colorado, we boarded a real honest to goodness narrow gauge steam engine driven train.... Silverton & Durango.   I've loved riding trains when I was a kid, and I think somewhere in my long ago childhood I've ridden a train with a steam locomotive.  I remember something about coal and cinders.   I was a little unhappy as we started out in heavy rain.  My concern was the fact that I desperately wanted to go back to the open car with Snappy in hand and get some pictures.  I didn't think Snappy would like rain.

After a bit of traveling, the train came to a stop.  It seems that a boulder had fallen on the track somewhere ahead of us and the rail had to be replaced before we could continue.  I didn't mind that one bit.  A nice state of the art rail seemed a good thing.   We ended up sitting on the track for somewhere close to two hours.  In that time, the rain stopped.  Yea!!  Picture taking was looking up.  We were allowed to get off the train and look around for awhile.  Then we were on our way again.
Ah, pretty pictures were in my future.  
Here is one of the open cars where we could go take pictures.  As you can see, heavy rain wouldn't have been a good thing here.
This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip.  I love the look of the whole thing and even think it has good framing.  Beautiful!!!
Leaning out just a little, I managed to get the train and engine.  See that lovely steam rising into the air!
Lots of trees, rocks, and water..  The air was crisp and cool too.  Lovely, really.
Look closely.  There is a fellow on a zip line.  He seemed to be having a fine time.  I'm going to pass on that one.  I believe I've done my due for awhile with water rafting.
I saw this and fell in love.  I do believe this might be my dream home.  I just think someplace like this would be such fun to go to and enjoy the awesome surroundings.
This is another of my favorite pictures.  I can't exactly tell you why, but I  just like it.
The Colorado Mountains are so beautiful.  The air is so clean smelling and crisp.  The temperatures were so nice there as compared with the triple digits back home.
Of course there are lots of rocks and rushing water... water noises.  Ah, beautiful scenery.
I leave you with this little look at some of my pics from the Silverton Durango Train Trip.  Such fun, and I would recommend it to anyone.   I did have to come back inside at one point as the cinders got to flying a bit and it just seemed to be better inside our enclosed car.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely,cool train ride,
Linda