Friday, August 13, 2010

Royal Gorge Route Railroad


Our second day of bus travel took us down Highway 12 on the 'Scenic Highway of Legends'.  Then we headed to Canyon City Depot for a ride deep into the Royal Gorge by railroad.
Here is a little hint of what we would find along the way... a very high bridge...  No, I didn't send a telegraph.   I did get out Snappy and take a picture of the sign.
Although we had a nice enclosed car for our trip through the gorge, Snappy and I headed to an open car where we could take pictures without a window.  Of course, Mr. was there too.
Ah,  there comes that very high 'World's highest bridge'.   I believe it is suppose to be the highest suspension bridge in the United States.  I did see people on it as we passed under.  I also saw daylight between the planks of the bridge.  That pretty much said that if I were standing on it, I'd be able to see below by looking at my feet through the planks.  I'd prefer to see it from here, thank you.  I'm sure those standing above had a spectacular view.  If you are scared of heights, I'd say, 'Don't go there!'
This lovely looking concrete something or another is actually the starting point to collect river water and send it through pipes to Canyon City.  It isn't used now, but was part of a water system built originally to take water to Canyon City, and was used for more than seventy years.  It was abandoned in 1974, but pieces still remain.
Redwood planks were used to form 30 inch pipes to carry the water.  They were fastened in every way, shape, and form to the boulders all the way from the collection point into Canyon City.  Often they had to drill through boulders to lay the pipe.  It looked like a very difficult and costly job.  I tried to find this information on the Internet a bit ago, but if memory serves me correctly, the project was accomplished with prison laborers.

We did see lots of rocks... lots and lots of rocks and water along the route.  It was very pretty, and everyone enjoyed the ride.   I suppose I shouldn't  mention that the air temperature was wonderful... not at all in the triple digits as it is at home now.  I'm pretty much just sitting around breathing in and out and hoping the cool days of fall come quickly.  Enough of this heat!

No comments: