Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hauling Away The Past


It needed to go, really.  It has been sitting vacant for years.  The noise and bustle of years of high school students has long faded away.  This was my high school as well as the place I attended those seventh and eighth grade years.  It was a place of fond memories, fun, favorite classes as well as some not so favorite ones, and a place where we received that all important degree... our High School Diploma.  We were launched into the world as an adult from here.


                                              

Lockers:  I don't know if one of those was mine or not.  I had my share of lockers in that building.. six, I'm sure.  I can almost smell them and hear the metal clanging.  I wonder how many coats of paint they had though the years.  The double wooden and glass doors have had their share of students walking though them.  I'm thinking those might have gone into the auditorium.  I'm trying to remember.
The orange doors peeking though the debris are in Huskie orange.... Orange and black... school colors.

Someone left their mark in the corner... Some member of the class of '98'.   A few dared leave some notes on the blackboard.   How fitting that they should be revealed now.. just a little reminder of fun times and a little celebration of being given wings and set free.


 
So I watch as pieces of the building are being loaded into the truck to be hauled away.  I know it is going to look very strange when the last is gone and a vacant lot sits where our dear old high school stood.  I had to take a few pictures just to help me remember.  They are hauling the dear old thing away.   I feel a little sad, although I'll still have all those good memories.  It just seems strange.   I knew it was coming as the poor thing was more of a problem than a blessing.   I've heard for years that it was going to be torn down.  I didn't know that day would ever come.

No comments: