Friday, September 19, 2008

Alas, Where Did My Humor Go?

I'm sitting at the computer keyboard staring at it. I started this blog some time ago with the idea that I could do something on humor each day. Well, I do believe I've been overrun and trampled by the sheer force of trying to get focused and organized.

You know what I'm doing. Perhaps I should say that you SHOULD know what I've been doing. I'm doing that thing that I decided to do in August. I'm crazed by it. I've been taken over by it. However, I expect my focus will level out at some point and I'll be able to sit back and draw a breath without thinking about it.

When I retired, I envisioned a life of leisure. I could do what I want, when I wanted, if I wanted. I'm not too sure what happened along the way, but four years into retirement, I'm so busy I don't have time to even think about sitting down and leading that life of leisure.

Don't misunderstand, I'd not want to sit in front of the TV with my coffee cup sipping life away. I realize that wouldn't be an ideal life. No, not at all. However, a few minutes here and there of absolutely nothing to do might be nice as well.

Now I have to confess a little something. I wrote the above last night, then put it to bed and turned in myself. I kept trying to dose off and fall into the computer screen. That just wouldn't do either.

The Rest of the Story:

Since last night, I've been to Nearby City to take my mother to an appointment. Mother loves getting out and about and doing a little shopping when she feels up to it. Today she was feeling grand, and we did what women like to do... we shopped. It was great fun, and we were fortunate enough to find some great bargains. I had made up my mind to not buy one thing, but that feeling soon passed and I had a nice healthy supply of new clothes to carry to the car... at a great price, of course.

Mother also needed to go to the shoe store, and I decided I really wouldn't buy anything there. I should have stayed in the car. Yes, I should have. Instead, I ventured into the store. I was a little disturbed at the fact that the front of the store bore no 'Sale' sign. It always has a 'Sale' sign. As soon as I opened the door, we were greeted by a smiling salesman. I asked him what was up as they had no 'Sale' sign in the window. He said that they certainly were having a sale... one on right shoes and one on left shoes. I felt so much better.

While Mother tried on shoes, I looked down the sale aisle really not expecting to find anything. That is when you have to look out... when you don't EXPECT to find anything. Of course, I saw a pair of 'must haves'. They were black zip up boots. I haven't purchased boots for years. I don't have any that fit. I sure hope they are still in style as I now have them in my closet. So much for not spending any money in the shoe store.

You may be thinking that my blog is certainly wandering around today. I do feel obligated to tie it together in some fashion. So, I will leave you with this thought: If you have a few minutes to do something at your leisure, you'd best watch out. It might cost you money. If that happens, you might need your humor to get through it.

So, where did my humor go? I still have it. It's intact and well. Thank goodness. I will live to shop and laugh another day. Tah Dah!

No comments: