Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rain and Storms

Normally in Ranch Land Heaven, rain is a cause of rejoicing. Cattle like grass, and grass likes moisture. It seems to work together. When there is no rain and the grass dries up, cattle do not smile, and neither do the ranchers. Ponds dry and hard times follow. Therefore, rain can be a cause of celebration.

Storms are not such a good thing. It seems unfortunate that all the rain we have been blessed with seems to be delivered with a vengeance. The weathermen are talking about the record numbers of tornadoes that have been associated with our area this year. It may truly become a record number. June is traditionally a stormy month as well as May, so we have more potential storms ahead.

Tornado warnings tend to get one's adrenalin going. I'm not going to say that it scares me spitless, but it does get my attention. I have a healthy respect for that force of nature, and I say quite a few prayers about weather. Looking at the damage that some communities have received lately is disheartening. Some look like a box of matchsticks dumped from a box. It's sad and frightening.

I've been reading the blogs of some who have been in the direct patch of destruction. It is a sense of continued stress that seems to come through. Taking tornado precautions over and over on a daily basis is wearing, to say the least. I will admit to being tired of severe storms, tired of tornado watches and warnings, and tired of the associated stress. It makes one physically tired.

Even so, I refuse to let all this become a focus in my life. I'm going to think about the happy weathermen. They, at least, can say something beyond announcing another hot dry day. They have lots of air time keeping everyone informed as to the changing conditions. It is a blessing for those in the path of raging storms to have such up to date technology and warning systems.

Personally, I'm going to pray for quieter weather.

No comments: