Sunday, December 30, 2007

Now I Nose Who You Are, And I Like You












I posted this story on a different blog, but loved it, so am moving it here with a few additions.

My daughter I-Needa arrived a few days ago with Gigi. Gigi had her own small suitcase of stuff... bed, food, pills, ear drops brush, etc. She made the two hour drive here in her car seat. (They have car seats for dogs! Yes, Gigi could look out the window and is also small enough to curl up and lay down in the seat.) Gigi has been a well behaved little house guest, and is a sweet sweet pooch.

I'm a dog person, not a cat person. I have a cat because Pumpkin adopted me and won't leave. Pumpkin has tried for almost two years now to gain admittance into the house. He has managed to get in once or twice by accident, but he isn't going to be living inside. On that point I am firm. My cat person friends don't understand this at all. They all say that Pumpkin would love to be inside and is such a SWEET cat! I don't know if there is such a thing, but imagine Pumpkin would come close. I just know that cats are much more inclined to do their own thing, and I'd rather not have a disagreement with one inside my house. Therefore, Pumpkin remains in charge of outside, not inside.

I'm sure it is nothing less of a wonder when Pumpkin sees Gigi coming out the door. Gigi is having to be on a leash as part of the backyard fencing has been removed. I had some work done in the back yard, and am still trying to decide what to do about re-fencing But I digress...

In the animal world, introductions seem to be as important as in the world of humans. We humans hope that all will be well with the animals around us. Peace and harmony in the home can't happen if there isn't peace with our critters as well. So, the question: How will Pumpkin and Gigi get along together? Gigi will have to go outside at times. Pumpkin will certainly be at her post on the porch. So?

Getting acquainted went well. For I-Needa and me, it was almost a jaw dropping experience. The cat and dog eyed each other, respectfully, questioningly, curiously. Then they each inched forward.... slowly, guardedly. They got closer and closer to each other and stretched their necks forward. Then they touched noses!!! I'm not kidding! They held that pose for about ten seconds while I-Needa just stood there quietly praying. That seemed to make everything okay. They have preformed this ritual twice.

The second time they went through this nose touching event, it seemed to get stranger. After the touching, Pumpkin flopped over on his side with paws stretched out, and Gigi reached over and tapped one of his paws. Then Pumpkin exposed his belly and Gigi reached forward and tapped Pumpkin's belly with her paw a couple of times, just like I-Needa pats Gigi's belly. While everything was still friendly, I-Needa took Gigi inside.

My daughter and I are in awe of this whole getting acquainted thing. Neither one of us have extended experience in the world of animals, but we were blown away that these two animals could meet and greet each other and decide they could live together so well. It seems there was a level of mutual respect and trust developed and an understanding established between the two, sealed with a little nose touching and tummy patting. All I can say to that is: WOW! Too bad humans who are so different from one another can't get alone as easily.

I must add that since this article there have been more visits. This past visit was in the cold of winter, and Pumpkin seems to be growing more acutely aware of the disadvantages of being outside while the dog is admitted to the inner sanctum. There were a few times that Pumpkin managed to take a little swipe at Gigi. Not being 'cat' people, neither I-Needa nor I can quite figure out if this is playing or not. We didn't see any claws, but neither did we see a smile on Pumpkin's face. Do cats smile? I guess not.

No comments: