Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Addicted Crafter

I'm thinking most crafters worth their salt are throughly addicted to their passion. Maybe some of us are more easily reigned in to those addictions, but it isn't any wonder why.

I've never been much good at math. I think that makes me creative. I believe I'd pick being creative over good in math. I can use a calculator and understand basic functions. I just have never really caught on to taking letters of the alphabet and flinging them across the page to figure out a number. I know there are flinging rules, but I've just never liked games that much.

I do like to create things. It makes me happy to see the result. I get much more of a kick out of that then anything else. Now, about addiction:

I'm thinking 'focused' might be a better term than addiction. Focused seems far more positive. It somehow seems more acceptable. So, let's just say I'm focused, but not always on the same thing.

I got interested in scrapbooking when my daughter was a consultant for Creative Memories. I have to say that I flung myself into that with abandon and have several really nice scrapbooks to enjoy. I have more to do, but have lost a bit of steam there and am focused on something else at the moment.

That something else is stamping, which can go nicely with scrapbooking. That way I can use all the 'stuff' I purchased in the past. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. When you are between addictions (focuses), it is a nice thing to have a friend who can motivate and fling you forward into the next phase. I have a daughter and a friend who both are into crafts with a passion. Daughter Ineeda has a complete walk in closet filled with craft items. They were all the result of saving money. I've heard my friend Ida say the same thing. It goes something like this: I wasn't going to buy that, but I could get it for half price and it will really come in handy. I really saved money getting it on sale. Ineeda and Ida are so alike. I'm not really being condescending here. I'll do the same thing in a heart beat.

Ida is a consultant for a stamping company. To her credit, she has not tried to make me buy anything. Really, she hasn't. Ida actually likes to buy from herself. Now that is a higher level thinking skill in the saving money department. It works. Really. I have ordered a few things from Ida for Ineeda. Then one day, I happened to slip and mention to Ida that I might really like to try some of that stamping stuff myself. Ida, being a good friend, jumped in the car and drove to see me. She brought with her a ton of colored stamp pads, some stamps, some card stock, colored pens and pencils, and even a brush. She sat me down and gave me a little lesson. She left all those supplies with me for awhile so I could play. Bless Ida!!

There isn't a crafter anywhere who could resist that kind of a deal. I mean, it is too good to pass up. Ida has even sweetened the pot by blessing me with her older style stamp pads. I have a start... a big start!! I just need a few more things, and I'll be all set to go. Actually, I have to admit that I've now purchased more than a few of those things.

If you doubt that I'm really a focused crafter, I will here and now confess that I-Needa and I have been on the phone together looking at the catalog of stamps and oohing and aahing over them. We have picked out things that we simply 'must' have. Ah, yes... I believe I'm hooked. I'm going to have to call Ida and tell her to put me out of my misery by ordering a few stamping products. Ida, being a good friend, will get right on it.

No comments: