Sunday, December 30, 2007

Grace's Art

As a way of justifying the pursuit of focusing on hobbies, I will enter into my testimony the case of one who actually accomplished something with her hobby.

Grace has been a doodler for years. She just couldn't seem to sit still and watch TV at night, so she took out a tablet and drew little doodles. Most of us have probably done that at some time. I've talked on the phone with a paper in my hand and find it covered with odd marks when I'm finished with the conversation. I guess that is a primitive form of the art.

Grace was in a big time habit of doodling. At one point she got a little more serious about it and got some art paper and pens, and from then on she was on a roll. Her walls are covered with her art. She branched out and now doodles on gourds and boxes. Actually, you don't dare sit still too long at Grace's house or you may end up being a canvas.

When I see her finished pieces, I'm always amazed at her talent. It just seems to flow out of her fingers and forms something interesting and fluid. She didn't see it at first. Being the good friend that I am, I kept trying to encourage her to think about putting her work where people could see it. She wasn't sure about that. She was timid about her art, and probably still is. Perhaps that is a good thing.

Grace finally stepped out of her comfort zone and showed her work to a local interior design business. The owner found it as charming as I did and put it in her gallery. Interest in Grace's art is growing, and pieces are being sold to happy consumers. I think there is a little celebration when a piece is sold in knowing that someone has appreciated her art, and she has made them happy. I think this is what Grace feels.

I guess it is a good thing that Grace was addicted, as she has become focused and even more challenged in her art. It is one of her gifts, and she is using it, probably as God intended.

We all have a gift. The question is: Do we use that gift, and do we share with others? My dear 93 year old mother is now limited in some things that she can do. She has always been creative, but just can't do the sewing and quilt making, etc. anymore. She still makes cookies and takes them to others. She still drives!! It is a small town, so not too many worries there. She is also using her creative side to make birthday cards for every member of our church congregation. She loves doing it, and it keeps her busy sharing a gift. That is a reward for her as she doesn't feel like she is of no use.

I'm thinking that along with counting our blessings, we might think about our gifts. We don't have to do everything. Our gifts are different, and all are useful and can be a blessing to others.

No comments: