Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Microwave Pickles


My friend Alice sent me a recipe for pickles that you make in the microwave.... seriously.  You put it together, cook it for seven (7) minutes, then stir and let it cool... then put it in the refrigerator.  They are yummy...sweet pickles.  At least Alice and I think they are yummy.

Hey.. for only a few minutes of prep time and a few minutes of cooking time and a few minutes of cooling time and a little bit of refrigeration, you can certainly risk tying them.

Now I do have a confession or two about this before I give you the recipe...   Confession 1:  Last time I did this I used regular white onions.  This time I didn't have any, so thought I'd give the red ones from Mister's garden a try.  Confession 2:  I didn't actually measure the cucumbers this time.  I just guesstimated.

Okay... Here goes.  You slice some cucumbers without peeling.  Put them in a glass dish.  Then slice some onion and put them on top.

You mix up a little pickling stuff... which I shall give you shortly and pour over the cucumbers and onions.


Then you cover the mixture with plastic wrap..  whatever brand you like.


Guess what you do next....

Yep... head to the microwave and put the dish inside.

Then, if your microwave is like mine...


You should hit the turntable button to turn it off.

Otherwise your dish and the turntable will probably fight for awhile.   So... just turn it off.

Please don't look at any specks on my microwave panel.  I cleaned it... really.

Okay... I'm now going to give you all the secrets from start to finish...

Ready??


Microwave Pickles

Place 3 cups medium sliced cucumbers (don't peel) in glass pan.
Put 1 sliced onion over cucumber in rings.

Mix:
1 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar

Pour over cucumbers and onions
Cover with plastic wrap
Microwave on high for 7 (seven) minutes.
Remove plastic and stir.
Replace plastic and let cool.
Put into glass jar.
Refrigerate
ENJOY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you got besides pickles?
Linda