Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Family Reunion



We were away for a few days to visit relatives and attend a family reunion on my father's side of the family.  Mr. was really a sport and encouraged me to go on this four day outing. He drove and jumped right in to all the festivities.   It was lots of fun, and I enjoyed seeing people I haven't seen in years, and meeting ones I've never met.  Sunday was the big reunion day.

Don't worry, you aren't getting any kind of recipe for THIS!   Now, this is what I call something to bring to a covered dish dinner.   Seriously.   My eyes about popped out when I saw a parade into the building with a pig on a platter... pretty big platter.   I have to say that it was good... really good.   Also, the people who did this do it professionally... so I didn't fear the results.


The reunion was held in an air-conditioned building.  Thank heavens!!  There were probably well over two hundred people there from several generations of Walkers.  Different branches of the family dressed in like colors.  We had turquoise, red, green, and orange... oh.. and purple.  There were people there from all over the United States.

I really enjoyed this man.  Caroll lost an arm in a farming accident many years ago.  He loves archery and found a way to continue in the sport.  In 1983 he was Missouri  State Champion. By his count, he has won three national archery competitions, 12 or 13 indoor competitions, and 11 or 12 outdoor state competitions.   He also competed in the 1992 Paralympics in Barcelona, but did not place.

I was thrilled when we got a demonstration.  He pulls that arrow back with his teeth.  Seriously.  I can't imagine the strength involved there.   I sure hope he has good teeth.... a little joke.


After the first two shots and bulls-eyes,  someone suggested that he really should call what he was shooting at.  Hey... he might have missed twice and the audience wouldn't know it.  Everyone laughed... It is that family sense of humor.

After all was said and done, every arrow was right on track.  Amazing.  I couldn't have done anything like that if I'd taken hold of the arrows and tried to screw them into the target.

I think the nicest thing about meeting Caroll was the fact that he is such a happy person.  He certainly had some serious things to overcome, but he has a wonderful can do attitude and passes that on to others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sooo glad you are back..enjoyed the post..That is a lot of Walkers
Linda