Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wassail

Sing along: 'Here we go (or is it come?) a wassailing among the leaves so green....'

Hey... I went to look through some of my music books to find the words... For some strange reason, it isn't in my church hymnal. I think I know why.

Yesterday I promised that I'd share this old recipe with you... only if I had done something about some of my Christmas decorations. I'll confess that I'm not finished with the decorations, but I have gotten some of them in place, so figured I'd met my own requirements and could share.

This 'Vintage' (Have you noticed how everything is vintage these days?) recipe box was the first one I ever had. I just haven't been able to throw it away and considered it replaced by my updated files. I acquired this decades ago... I won't tell how many. You probably have an idea if you've been in any of the flea markets and seen one like it sitting among the vintage section.

But.... I digress. This little box started out its life with me in high school. I had to have it for home economics class. We cooked, among other things. Our teacher was excellent, really excellent. Her name was Lillian. Lillian was one of those take charge gals. We were all thoroughly convinced as we walked through the door of her classroom that she was in charge of us... and she was. She was going to make young ladies of us, from our heads to our toes. We would be cleanly, well groomed, know how to walk and sit properly, know how to cook, and know how to sew. She was a marvel. She was... really.

My little recipe box holds basic, and I do mean basic, recipes. It contains a whole section on eggs: Fried, shirred, soft cooked, hard cooked, poached, steamed, scrambled, and French omelet. Can you believe that? Seriously. There is even a card on frying bacon. Seriously.

Currently, I'm wondering, seriously wondering, how a recipe to serve 100 wassailers, complete with wine options, came to be tucked among the more basic recipes. I will guess that it was added a tad bit later than the egg recipes. For one thing, it was done during the turquoise ink phase of my life. I'm not sure when that was, but I do remember having turquoise ink. Some of the words on the recipe have been water marked.... proof that I actually had this out in the kitchen. I know I've made this before. I do remember Mother making this for our choir after Christmas caroling. It hit the spot... without the optional wine.

Now, if you think that I'm going to get out my camera and whip up this 100 serving drink for you, guess again. You will get a no frills presentation. Deal with it.

Now, if you are even a tad bit curious about this drink (Yes, it is a drink) and its history, just check this quick link at wikipedia. Okay now, moving on. You are about to get the recipe. You hope.

The recipe from Lillian: Waissal Serves 100:


3 quarts hot tea (pour 3 quarts boiling water over 1 oz. tea) and let steep 5-7 minutes.
Remove tea.
Add 2 teaspoons whole cloves, 1/4 cup stick cinnamon tired loosely in a loosely woven cloth bag.
Heat to boiling, then simmer 10 minutes.

Add: 2 1/2 gallon apple cider
3 quarts orange juice (about 4 1/2 dozen oranges
1 quart syrup ( 1 pint sugar, 1 pint hot water heated to boiling)
1 quart Claret or similar wine if wished (that would be optional)
1 quart grapefruit juice
1 pint cranberry or loganberry juice (loganberry juice?)

Mix the day before and bring to boiling point, but DO NOT boil.
If sugar is needed, it may be added the next day.
When Wassail is heated, the spices are more noticeable.


Okay... I just looked up loganberry and found it is a hybrid of a raspberry and and American dewberry.. whatever that is. I believe I'll head to the local small town grocery store and ask for a pint of loganberry juice. That ought to be fun.

If you are planning on carolers dropping by or hosting a big party, you might try this hot spicy fragrant drink. Yum!

No comments: