Saturday, December 13, 2008

I Do Not What I Should

I'm going to write this post today (Friday) and set it to post tomorrow (Saturday). I'm going to confess that I'm not doing what I should be doing today (Friday). I'm sure I'm not so different from others.

As I begin this writing, it is early afternoon. My morning is gone, and I haven't accomplished one thing from the list of things that I really should be doing. I didn't even manage to feed my Man Cat Pumpkin on time. I was two hours late doing that. A faint mew from the porch jerked me into reality that I'd completely forgotten him. Bad ME! I'd gotten so focused on other things that I forgot about him entirely. He is a creature of habit, and I'm sure he had been standing on the back porch for a full two hours plus waiting for his meal and wondering what was up with his human. Bad human!

I'm just recovering from the same malady of nose and throat that has afflicted a good portion of those in our small town. Being in that wonderful state of retirement, I was able to stay inside and whine privately. I've also used up a vast amount of Kleenex.

Feeling yucky has not led me to get my Christmas decorating done. I'm one who usually puts out the decorations as close to Dec. 1 as I can. Not this year. I'm afraid if I don't get started on the process soon, I'll miss the whole event.

This morning I felt much better. I thought I might be able to do a little decorating. So.... what did I do? Not decorating. Not even feeding the cat.

No, I've sat at this computer and worked on my blog site. I've e-mailed friends and played with iPhoto. I have not gotten one thing done about decorating. I may just need an intervention.

I'm a gifted procrastinator. Perhaps I should phrase that as being gifted at procrastination. Heck, I do a darn good job of ignoring what must be done and doing what doesn't have to be done. One little voice tells me to 'Get on that list!' while another one says 'Go ahead and do what is fun.' Neither one of those little voices is gifted.

I hereby determine that I'm heading for the cubbyholes that house my Christmas decorations. I'm going to start on it.... NOW. As you read this post in the morning (Saturday), I hope to have something to show for my focus. Hopefully, I'll have something worthwhile to tell. Did you notice the double use of the word 'hope'? Hope is not a plan.

I think I'll dig out my Wassail recipe and post it tomorrow. I haven't made that in years. I'm not looking for it until the decorations are up. Period. Until then.... I'll 'hope' I get my act together.

No comments: