Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring Birth Pangs

My goodness! I can't believe the week is flying by so quickly and I've been missing around this blog. I'll blame it on things to do and the weather. That sounds good to me.

There are days that I question the 'whys' of all the spring storms. It saddens me that all the lovely bursting forth of leaves and flowers and pretty things must also be accompanied by severe weather. Perhaps aligned with the birth pangs of humans, we seem to be destined to suffer from high wind, hail, and tornadoes as spring is born. I know it is just the nature of things. All that clashing of warm and cool air, and we get big storms here in Tornado Alley.

I'm grateful for all the sophisticated technology that we have available. At least we can be warned most of the time. That is, for many, a life saver. I will admit that I like to at least be informed.

I-Needa woke up up at 3:00 a.m. the other night. She started with 'I just wanted you to know that I'm okay.' Yep, that's every parent's desire in the middle of the night. She added, 'I've just got to go to bed now, but thought you should get up and pay attention to the super cell that is possibly headed your way.' Yep, that's another one of those must have pieces of information in the middle of the night.

So, I was up watching all that sophisticated technology in action on the TV screen. It was continuous coverage for a good reason. After much time, I decided that the hook part of the super cell was not going to reach us, so headed off to bed again with my weather radio in hand.

As for I-Needa, she was blissfully spared the tornado part of the night as well. Part of her city was hit and there was damage. For some, the aftermath of the storm was not so good. I-Need felt blessed for not having any damage.

Yesterday I took the time to sign up with Weather Call, an online service now offered in our area. For only $6.00 a year I will get a call on my home and cell phone and an e-mail if any severe weather or tornadoes are in my area. That is a little peace of mind. At least I might sleep through the night without so many interruptions.

I must get around as am taking a trip this morning to Nearby City for a meeting. Of course, severe weather is a possibility. I've been debating on skipping the meeting, or not. Right now it is a 'go', so will pray the weather holds for everyone's sake. We will all be happy to be spared today's spring birth pangs.

No comments: